Tuesday, July 18, 2006

a thousand points of light street

The old part of federal hill makes me think of an alley cat,
missing some teeth but so charming you sort of want to
take it home with you. Today I take a bit of my new surroundings
with me, in the sweltering heat, as a promise to keep moving
forward, sometimes worn down, but as spry and worldly as ever.
The cobbles and bricks and crumbling details are kind to
look at, like old smiling faces.

The buildings are low and narrow, set apart from the street by
sidewalks that take you with them, bumping along and friendly-
I stumble and am at the foot of a cafe where I'll have a cheap
omelette and sweet tea.

Where have you been these eight years, Baltimore? I am finally
charmed....(oh, and I found a kick*ss little gym a block a way
from my office)

1 comment:

neufcent9 said...

so happy that you're getting to know baltimore in a whole new way... the charm of this city isn't overt, it tends to grow on you as you experience it from the inside. (this is what suburbanites dropping in for a ballgame can't possibly understand)