Thursday, August 20, 2009

Beware of Fraud on Facebook

This is NOT a conversation between me and my friend Matthew. It is a conversation between me and someone claiming to be my friend Matthew. Luckily I'm of the generation that still calls mothers at the crack of dawn to verify the location of their sons.

But in all seriousness, please be aware of this fraud tactic. I'll be contacting the FTC and InterPol today.

Matthew

Need's Urgent Assistance!about an hour ago
Clear Chat History
7:03amMatthew
hey there
How are u doing?
7:03amZB
hi matthew. it's early! I'm just fine. how are you?
7:03amMatthew
Am not good
7:03amZB
what's wrong
?
7:04amMatthew
Im in some kind of deep mess right now
7:04amZB
how so?
7:04amMatthew
Im stranded in London
I got mugged at a gun point last night
7:04amZB
holy shit?
where are you?
specifically?
7:04amMatthew
All cash,credit card and phone was stolen
7:04amZB
did you go to the police?
7:05amMatthew
Im in a public Library
7:05amZB
what credit cards do you need to notify?
7:05amMatthew
i have reported to the local cops here.Investigation is going on
7:06amZB
who do you need called?
7:06amMatthew
I really need your urgent assitance
Thank God i still have my Life and passport
7:06amZB
sure - how can I help?
7:07amZB
The US embassy is helping me with my return flight home
My return flight leaves in few hour but having trouble sorting out the hotel bills
7:07amZB
what hotel are you staying at?
7:08amMatthew
Wondering if you could loan me some few $$$ to pay the hotel bills and take a cab to the Airport
I will def refund you when i return home
Would you loan me some cash?
7:08amZB
what's the quickest way to do that, western union? it might be easier if I call the hotel with a credit card
and then western union some cash
7:09amMatthew
you can wired it to me via western union
7:09amZB
can you go to the hotel so I can call you there and help sort that part out?
7:09amMatthew
Do you know any western union outlet around?
7:09amZB
where are you in london?
7:09amMatthew
Kentish town
7:09amZB
what hotel?
7:09amMatthew
You can wired the money to my full name as written on my passport
I checked in with cash...
7:10amZB
what hotel?
7:10amMatthew
Sector Inn...
7:11amZB
can you go back there so we can talk?
7:11amMatthew
Would you call the hotel Manager on my behalf?
I have limited time here
7:11amZB
Yes, I can do that - are you going back there before the airport?
7:12amMatthew
I cant go back to the hotel now..I need to return with cash Jessyca
How much can you spare me with right now?
7:14amMatthew
????
7:14amZB
hold on a sec
7:14amMatthew
ok
7:14amZB
I'm on the phone with your mom
who is certain you're in mississippi
and that you're reporting to teach today.
want to tell me who the hell this is really?

See recent report on CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/02/05/facebook.impostors/index.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Same thing with me...LOL...read the comments...she's going to do anything!!!

she is still checking....have you called the embassy to let them know you are in trouble...they might be able to help
5:25amCarl

Do you want me get it wired back once i get back to houston..

I can pay back tomorrow
5:54amCarl

well....I was hoping we could work out some other kind of arraingement...if you catch my meaning....
5:54amJessica

OK i catch you

LOL

Is Bill on the phone with W/U ??

Talking to a rep?


so what did you have in mind for repaying me?
5:57amCarl

Just know i really OWE YOU BIG.
5:57amCarl

hello.....

yeah...I know....but how do you intend to repay me? I have a very fierce sexual appetite
5:58amJessica

Whatever you want..But we need to Hang out First... You know.
5:59amCarl

yeah...that's cool...we could go get a few drinks. I like to maximize my time in the USA...my vacations are very short

so you want to go out when I get home? have a few drinks...unwind....take our clothes off?
6:18amCarl

it would be fun....plus you owe me big time!!!!
6:18amJessica

I don't want to sound so cheap.. But i need to see you first...

Then we will do all together...
6:20amCarl

I can understand that...I don't want you to feel cheap either....if we hadn't dated in high school and weren't such good friends then I am not sure I would be helping....but like I said, I have such a fierce sexual appetite.

Remember that one thing I used to do with my tongue when we were dating?
6:20amJessica

OK i also DO

please don't take me cheap now OK
6:21amCarl

I know for a fact you could calm my urges....so in a way we are just helping each other out...

I'm not taking you for cheap...please don't think so

I respect you greatly

I just like to have a commitment, like I said my time in the USA is short...I'll head back to Iraq shortly after getting home

please don't think that I am disrespecting you
6:23amJessica

It's OK

I'm reading and it's really getting into my head .. I deeply understand your feelings


7:23amCarl

so...how do you want to relive our past? You don't have to worry about paying me back by the way...I figure that having sex like the way we used to is more than payment enough...of course over a week or something...not just one night

7:49amCarl

jsut a few more seconds
7:49amJessica

Are you Kidding me...
7:49amCarl

7:49amCarl

ok you there?

7:50amJessica

Carl i have been here for past 4hrs

Am here...
7:50amCarl

oh...sorry....hey I need you to read this...then tell me what you think

http://zeldabijou.blogspot.com/2009/08/beware-of-fraud-on-facebook.html
7:52amCarl

so did you read it?
7:52amJessica

I know this sounds strange But trust me i won't be asking you for $$ if i really had any options left
7:52amCarl

LOL...that may be true....but pretending isn't going to work....so what is your reaction to reading the scam you just tried to pull on me?
7:53amJessica

GO GO PUNISH YOU
7:54amCarl

Jessica is no longer online. The following was not sent:

thanks....we've tracked you.... (send as a message)

You don't have permission to chat with this person.

thanks for the fun....LOL....it was fun while it lasted....we're tracked your IP address....and I'm reporting you to the authorities

Schuyler said...

Just got the same thing myself. I think pretending I was Amish and saying I would have to make the payment in chickens is what finally caused them to give up.